Monday, November 16, 2009

Movie Monday 11.16.09


Today topic at The Bumbles Blog is movies with great and memorable death scenes. I read several terrific posts, including Molly and Andy's at their blog and Sandy's at You've GOTTA Read This! that listed movies with humorous, horrifying, tear jearking, realistic or ridiculous death scenes. I wasn't coming up with any really good ones myself but if you have any good examples be sure to post about them and then link your post to The Bumbles Blog where all the fun is happening today!

I think part of my problem with thinking about movies with memorable death scenes is that I have a different movie on my mind. I saw The Way We Were. I've never seen it before and can't believe it took me this long. It's a wonderful, beautiful, poignant and sad movie. So I decided to post about it today to let you all know that it's a movie I think you would enjoy!


The Way We Were (1973) stars Robert Redford and Barbara Streisand and is directed by Sydney Pollack.
Katie Morosky and Hubbell Gardiner first meet in college in the 1930's. She is an outspoken, opinionated Marxist Jew who is very against war. He is a carefree WASP with few opinions and a laid-back attitude. She is serious, strident and very focused. He is charming, easy-going, quick to laugh and seems worried about little in life. Hubbell is a good writer and good looking, two things that attract her to him. He is intrigued by Katie's strong values and her convictions as well as her attempts to persuade others to her way of thinking.
They meet again after WWII when she is working at a radio station and he is attempting to return to civilian life after serving in the navy. They marry despite their differences. Over time the very things that attracted them about one another become the cause of friction between Katie and Hubbell. Is their love enough to withstand their differences?

If you haven't seen this movie, it's so worthwhile and I highly recommend it. This coming from someone who isn't a fan of Barbara Streisand at all (sorry! it's just one of those things!)
This movie was nominated for several awards and won the Academy Award for Best Original Score and Best Song.

7 comments:

  1. OK well that means something to me, because I am definitely not a fan of Barbara either, and probably why I haven't rented the movie. She drives me crazy. BUT, I loved Prince of Tides despite this. So maaaaaybeeee I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful, yet bittersweet movie! I don't watch for Barbara, but for Robert Redford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie really angered me. If you love someone and are committed to the relationship, you work things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this one--probably because of whose in it. LOL I'll have to give it a try though. You make it sound so good, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - The Gal Herself had a post about this movie recently on her blog. Now, she is a Streisand fan, but she was also going down memory lane to a very handsome Robert Redford. I'm not sure that I've ever seen this movie - but I do enjoy Babs as an actress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reminding me of this one. I came across the last hour on cable about a month ago and could not stop watching. Now I just have to get it from netflix and actually watch the whole thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most memorable death scene in a movie that I've ever seen is in "My Life" with Michael Keaton. Very realistic and so, so sad!

    ReplyDelete