Friday, December 3, 2010

Book Blogger Hop 12/3 - 12/6

The Book Blogger Hop is a weekly Party for Book Bloggers hosted by Jennifer at her blog, Crazy-for-Books every Friday. The Hop is an opportunity for book bloggers to meet, connect, support each other and share their love of books and the written word. The Hop also offers a great opportunity for bloggers to discover other book blogs to read!

The Book Blog Hop lasts from Friday through Monday giving anyone who's interested plenty of time to join in! If you want to be a part of the fun, head on over to Crazy-for-Books, post your answer to the week's question on your blog and enter your blog on the Mr. Linky list. And then, start Hopping to other blogs. This week's question is from Marce who blogs at Tea Time With Marce:



"What very popular and hyped book in the blogosphere did you NOT enjoy and how did you feel about posting your review?"



For me the book is One Day by David Nicholls. (my review) The author, an English man, used an interesting technique in writing the book. although one already used by others. He checked in with the two main characters, Dexter and Emma, on the same day every year for many years. Dexter and Emma met at a university graduation party and spend the night following day together. There's an attraction between them, more romance on her part, more friends on his part. And so we see what develops in their lives and between them for many years to come. Parts of the book were funny but for me Dexter became increasingly annoying and childish. I tired of the book by the middle and by the end didn't care for it at all!

I didn't like reviewing it because most of the bloggers and others who read One Day loved it. I think it's difficult to write and post negative reviews no matter what, but it's especially difficult when the book is generally a popular one. But I've been on the other end of that spectrum, too. It's just a reminder that we all have different opinions and different thoughts on the books we read based somewhat on our different life experiences. It's one of the things I love best about book discussions, discovering how the book worked or different work for those who read it and why!

9 comments:

  1. Hype can ruin a book for me, so I try to avoid books when the hype for them is really big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of One Day. It doesn't sound like something I'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing "One Day" on best-of lists for the year but I can't get your review out of my head which makes me wonder what all of the hype is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of One Day on my shelf but I haven't felt the urge to pick it up yet. My answer to this question (which is a good one!) would be A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. It took me a while to get up the courage to post my review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, that is just great since I just started reading it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a book that answers this question offhand, but in a sort of related theme, I have no intention of reading the much touted Millennium Trilogy or Hunger Games series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower from the hop, I am a genre type reading and reviewing PNR UF general Fantasy, both older YA and Adult. I have four of the little kitties as well. 2 black one DSH one DLH Maine Coon-ish who is staring at me right now, one torti and a black and white. They are all girls. They run the house. Hope you will come by:
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not alone, I didn't love One Day either. I got bored part way through, but kept reading (for some reason) and before I knew it I cared about the characters. And then, well, and then I just got angry. By the end I kind of felt like my emotions had been toyed with. So, One Day would have been my answer to this question, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy One Day. I have it on my shelves at home but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I agree with you though that all of our varied opinions on books is what makes the book blogging world such an interesting place!

    ReplyDelete