Tuesday, March 18, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro


 
First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday.  Participants share the opening paragraph or two of a book they decided to read based on that paragraph. I have meant to read this book for years.  So sad, isn’t it?!  I’ve watched the move countless times.  Finally, I purchased a 50th Anniversary Edition of the book.  It includes three short stories, which I’m excited about.  The story is more novella than novel but still a huge treat. I want to savor it, but I know that I’ll still finish the book in a day or two.  What can you do?! 

Drop by Bibliophile By the Sea to read Diane's selection this week, it’s always a good one, and to see who else is participating. You'll probably get some good book titles, too! 
 
 
Breakfast At Tiffany’s

by

Truman Capote 

Chapter 1 
 
 
I am always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods. For instance, there is a brownstone in the East Seventies where, during the early years of the war, I had my first New York apartment. It was one room crowded with attic furniture, a sofa and fat chairs upholstered in that itchy, particular red velvet that one associates with hot days on a train. The walls were stucco, and a color rather like tobacco-spit. Everywhere, in the bathroom too, there were prints of Roman ruins freckled brown with age. The single window looked out on a fire escape. Even so, my spirits heightened whenever I felt in my pocket the key to this apartment; with all its gloom, it still was a place of my own, the first, and my books were there, and jars of pencils to sharpen, everything I needed, so I felt, to become the writer I wanted to be.
 

What do you think?  Would you keep reading?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the intro! I've seen the movie, but never read the book...must rectify that soon.

    The words come alive on the page, making me see the place the narrator describes.

    Here's MY TUESDAY POST


    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intro!! I would pick it up....

    Here is my intro post!

    and

    Here is my teaser post

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been awhile since I've read this book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one I have always wanted to read, but never have. I've only read one book by Truman Capote--which I really liked. I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the intro! I've got this on my Classics Club list and was hoping it would get chosen for the last spin game, but I ended up with Middlemarch instead. Hope you enjoy this, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for bringing a classic in. I have actually never read the book as well, so yes, I should put this on my TBR pile!
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only heard of this one but never read it. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that intro! and, what a great cover on that edition. I need to read this as I loved the movie, but never read the book --great pick Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeee, I adore this book! (Hate the movie, but love the book.) Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the movie (see today's post) and finally read the novella a few years ago. They are very different but both good in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this one is a keeper,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete