Monday, December 7, 2009

Movie Monday 12.07.09




Feature Presentation...
MONDAY MOVIE MEME


Today topic at The Bumbles Blog is Black & White movies! Simple but great movies with the focus on the actors because there's no vibrant costumes or background to distract. It's difficult for me to know where to start or when to stop because I adore old movies!

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) starring Peter Sellers, George C. Scott ,Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn and Slim Pickens and directed by Stanley Kubrick. In this black comedy, an unhinged US Air Force General orders a first strike attack on the Soviet Union. The President and his advisers try and prevent it from happening. A Cold War between the USA and Russia that has gone terribly wrong. Arguably Kubrick's best film

Casablanca (1942) stars Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart, Paul Henreid, Peter Lorre and Claude Rains. It's set during WW II. Bogart plays a cynical expatriate living in Casablanca running an upscale night club. His ex-lover, played by Ingrid Bergman, shows up there with her husband, a Czech resistance leader wanted by the Nazis. She asks Bogart for his help...what will he do?
"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

Desk Set (1957) starring Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Dina Merrill, Gig Young and Joan Blondell. Katherine Hepburn is in charge of the reference library for the "Federal Broadcasting Network" and answers all manner of questions such as "What are the names of Santa's reindeer?" She's been involved with Gig Young's character for 7 years. He's a rising star in the company & a bit of a player. In comes Spencer Tracy and a large machine, "the electronic brain" that may lose Katherine Hepburn her job and then some...!
It's a wonderful comedy!

Adam's Rib (1949) starring Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn as husband & wife as well as opposing attorneys on the same case. Tracy is the prosecutor and Hepburn is the defense attorney. It's another hilarious movie & a great romantic comedy!
"Lawyers should never marry other lawyers. This is called inbreeding, from which comes idiot children and more lawyers."


Christmas in Connecticut (1945) starring Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan and Sidnet Greenstreet. It's a fun romantic comedy about cons & appearances being deceptive. There was a remake in 1992 and another planned with Jennifer Garner but there's nothing like the original.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947) starring Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn and John Payne
A Santa is needed for The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade at the last minute. The Santa who was supposed to ride the sleigh in the parade was much too drunk. An elderly man is discovered around Macy's who looks just like people imagine Santa to look. When he is pressed into service it's discovered he believes himself to be Santa! Maureen O'Hara works for Macy's and is in charge of Santa. She has an adorable little girl who doesn't believe in magic, make-believe or Santa. And Santa is determined to change her mind. This is a wonderful Christmas movie. It has also been re-made. The new Miracle on 34th Street is cute but doesn't compare to the original.
"My daddy would never tell a lie! Would you, daddy?"

Raging Bull (1980) Starring Robert De Niro and directed by Martin Scorsese about the boxer Jake LaMotta and the demons that plague him all the time.

The Big Sleep (1946) starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. It's based on the novel by Raymond Chandler and is a great example of film noir genre. A great, if slightly confusing detective movie!

Manhattan (1979) starring Woody Allen, Muriel Hemingway, Diane Keaton and Michael Murphy and directed by Woody Allen. He's a 42-year-old twice divorced comedy writer dating a 17-year-old high school senior. He falls in love with his best friend's mistress. It's a very funny romantic comedy and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Writing: Screenplay.

There are so many more movies..."Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" "The Maltese Falcon", "White Christmas", "Pat and Mike", "North by Northwest" "On the Waterfront" ....
If you haven't seen some of these or any of them, you are in for some great viewing! Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I would have to add "It's A Wonderful Life" to your list because it's my favorite Christmas movie! I look forward to it all year!

    I also love the old black and white horror movies with Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff! I used to watch those with my dad when I was a kid.

    Oh, one more I just remembered. The Elephant Man. A fantastic, albeit sad, movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got another one for you: Pocket Full of Miracles based on a book by Damon Runyan. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have my nose stuck in a book, but I really should take the time to watch some of these old movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, this was one I could have listed them endlessly! I fell in love with Miracle on 34th Street as a child. I can't believe I didn't think of it, especially so close to Christmas! Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that's it--I'm coming to New York and we're having a black and white movie marathon. Maybe we'll even sneak in some football!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby makes fun of me because I have not seen so many classics...great list. I have only seen Casablanca..I need to get on it.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list of movies Amy! Desk Set is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love black and white movies - there's just something so elegant about them. I especially adore Casablanca - Ingrid Bergman was luminuous in that movie. One of my favorites is Citizen Kane - simply amazing cinematography.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah - Dr. Strangelove! An all time goodie! Slapping myself for leaving it off our list.

    I have never heard of Desk Set - that sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miracle on 34th Street is one of my all time favorites! Of course, this is the perfect time of year to watch it. and you are right. stick with the original

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Miracle on 34th Street is one of my favorites too. Watching the colorized version is kind of fun though--finding those spots in the scene where they forgot to add color. :-)

    ReplyDelete