All of these words come from One Day by David Nicholls.
The C-major scale of the amateur stand-up, this is the routine that had the potential to be infinite, and Emma found herself trying to imagine a notional man, a fantastical figure who didn't make a big deal about it, just looked at the wine list and ordered, unpretentiously but with authority.
1. Notional -adj.
1. not real or actual; ideal or imaginary
2. abstract, theoretical, or speculative, as reflective thought.
When it happens, if it happens, she will adore the child, remark on its tiny hands and even the smell of its scrofulous little head.
2. Scrofulous -adj.
1. of, relating to or affected with scrofula: swelling of the lymph nodes of the neck
2. Having a diseased, rundown appearance
3. morally contaminated
Energised now he quarries deeper through the geological layers of the CDs that represent 10 years of fashion, picking out the occasional disc, stacking them up in a pile on the floor, warming to his plan.
3. Quarry -verb
1. to dig or take from as if from a quarry
2. to make a quarry in; to delve in
Over time she had hoped to get this down to forty percent, forty being a workable allowance, but nearly two years later the figure stood at seventy-five, and domestic life continued against the tinnitus of mirth.
4. Tinnitus -noun
1. a ringing or similar sensation of sound in the ears.