Sunday, December 11, 2011

~ Sunday Salon ~

Hello! Some of you may have noticed my blog has been very quiet the past week. Late last Sunday night (after watching the Jets win, yay!) I felt really tired suddenly and got a headache which is unusual for me, and a very sore throat. I figured it was the start of a cold. By Monday morning it was pretty obvious to me it was not just a cold. I woke up feeling kind of awful although I had a pretty cool raspy, sexy voice, apparently, due to a bit of laryngitis! lol A trip to my pulmonologist revealed pneumonia. ugh! And he wanted to put me in the hospital so the doctors could monitor my lungs etc. etc. double ugh! I talked him out of that by promising to stay in bed and only rest and if I felt worse, I would go to the hospital. It always amazes me how tired, like bone-weary, difficult-to- walk tired effect pneumonia has...on me sometimes anyway. A few times during the week when I thought I felt better, I checked my email and visited some blogs until realizing I couldn't hold my head up. I wish I had a laptop this week. {Others around here (who shall remain nameless) disagree and argued this was a reason why we shouldn't have a laptop because I wouldn't rest if I had one!} I’m feeling better, stronger but still tired and weak.
I have so much catching up to do with reading and reviews! I had a lot of trouble focusing while trying to read this week but I didn’t realize, at first, that it was actually the words on the page that were the problem. Thinking it was the kind of book or the story, I kept trying different books until I finally realized, after reading the first few chapters in six different books, that it was the size of the words on the page that were making my eyes cross and giving me a headache! So I read some of The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston but even that was difficult after a while. I wish I’d had some graphic novels. I listened to some of When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson a little bit, too! Now I have bits and pieces of all these different books swimming around in my head! I need to get book organized as soon as I feel up to it and finish up some of the lighter books and then focus on the others.

Today I am going to try to finish The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine which is good but I prefer Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. I’m also just about finished Family Album by Penelope Lively - I started this a long time ago and put it aside for some review books I needed to read. I picked it up again this week having forgotten what a good book it is. Finally I’m enjoying Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, although some of it is a little slow. I’ll also be rooting for the Jets this afternoon just because it‘s fun!
I hope you all have a fun, relaxing Sunday ~ any good plans or good books to read today?

Happy Reading
Enjoy your Sunday!

28 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are feeling better, but do rest as you heal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better, but try not to do too much this week... the last thing you need is a relapse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, so sorry to hear you were ill. Pneaumonia has a way of just knocking you flat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness! Please, rest, rest! We will all be here when you return, healthy and refreshed! Take a couple of weeks to rest, relax, and read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Amy:( It;s looks like Kitty is happy you've been in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better soon.

    I read When Will There By Good News earlier this year and liked it a lot. I've yet to get to the television series based on some of the Atkinson books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pneumonia can be a beast, and I know how tired and weak it makes you because I also had it last year. I am sorry that you are sick and that you can't focus. I will be saying a little prayer for you and thinking of you this week. Take care over there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are feeling a bit better this week. Make sure you get lots of rest and look after yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how much energy it takes our bodies to heal. I know that feeling you mentioned and it's due to a lack of oxygen. Without it, we're weak and useless. Please take care of yourself and don't worry about the blog. We'll wait for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pneumonia sounds horrible. I hope you get fully healed soon!

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you feel fully better soon! I see your sweet kitty is making sure you rest and relax by his example. hehe
    Take care of yourself Amy and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nise:
    Thank you! I sure will as I don't want to go through this again if I can avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. JoAnn:
    Good point and you're so right! Thank you! At least I feel more like I can focus on reading this week and some reviews, too I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Esme:
    Thank you! It really does - it surprised me with how it just zapped my strength suddenly. I had a bad case my freshman year of collge and I remember I had trouble walking to the bathroom then. This time hasn't been that bad, thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  16. NATALIE:
    Thank you so much! I like your advice, too, especially as I feel like I can really concentrate on a book and enjoy it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DIANE - Bibliophile by the Sea:
    Thank you, Diane! Yep, the kittys are very happy to have me lying in bed - I've had to move a few off me a couple of times! But I love having them sleeping with me, they're a great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GUY:
    Thank you!
    I didn't realize there was a series based on the Kate Atkinson books until I discovered that one of the Masterpiece Mysteries I tape off PBS was Part II of one of the shows based on Atkinson's books...I need to find Part I and then the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anna:
    Thank you! I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ZIBILEE:
    Thank you so much! You are so right! It's been several years since I've had a bad case of Pneumonia and I'd forgotten how tired it makes me. It's a relief to start feeling stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SAM:
    Thank you so much! I sure will - great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ti:
    It's amazing how quickly I felt exhausted, it changed overnight but as I'm able to breathe better I'm feeling stronger. It's interesting how our bodies work but I'd prefer to read about it, not feel it!
    Thank you, too, for the words about the blog - I'm beginning to feel a little stress about being away from it which is so silly I know!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quirky Girls - Jehara:
    Thank you so much! It's not fun but I'm feeling better! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pesky Cat:
    Thank you! It's so good to' 'see' you! The kitties are very good examples of how to rest well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know that being sick is a major problem for you so I'm hoping you recover quickly and don't have major problems! Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry you've been sick. Hope you'll be better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hope that you are having a better week Amy and are feeling stronger :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sending positive energy your way, Amy! Get better :)

    ReplyDelete