Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Reading and viewing for your pleasure!


I received my first ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in the mail last week! Yay! It just showed up one day. It doesn't even have the proper cover yet, it just has a temporary cover from the publisher with the title and author names and the date it will be available for sale. It's very cool! I feel like a spy or something carrying around and reading a book few other people have. Yes, I'm a dork! lol And I also know that many, many other people have the book too. Still, it's fun to make believe! The picture of the book came out a little bigger than I expected. I guess I'll choose the "small" size next time. It'll be nice when all of this blog stuff is second nature.
So today I'm going to write my review. I'm really looking forward to doing this but right now I'm a bit nervous since it's been a long time sine I wrote a review or book report! lol I know once I start I'll be fine. It helps that I really enjoyed the book, much more than I thought I would. I expected it to be fluff, light beach reading but as I read the book, the plot intensified and there were a few surprises! I'll post my review when I'm finished.
Hubbie and I belong to Netflix. I love it, they have a great selection of films and documentaries, they ship very quickly and they have the best customer service. We watched a documentary from 1972 about Marjoe Gortner a revivalist, a child evangelist and faith healer. It was really interesting and bizarre. His name Marjoe is a combination of Mary and Joseph and he is the youngest ever ordained preacher. By age 4 this boy started supporting his family by preaching to crowds, healing people and he even performed a wedding, about which there was some controversy. His parents were professional evangelists, something I didn't know anything about. They taught Marjoe scripture and how to reach people through preaching but they also taught him money-making tactics involving the sale of various items that would "heal" the sick and dying. He traveled around the country with his parents preaching and "healing" the sick. Marjoe stopped preaching when he was about 16 and his family parts ways. Marjoe returns to preaching in his late 20's to make money. He eventually hires a film crew and they follow him around filming his revivals. He also allows them to film him back-stage counting the money he makes and he advises them on camera about how he and other evangelists make their money. He says outright on camera that it's all a scam. The film wins the 1972 Oscar for best documentary . Marjoe Gortner is friendly, affable, funny and charming so it's hard to dislike him much as you want to. The documentary is fascinating, sad, pathetic and worth seeing. I left out a lot of interesting info here in case you want to see it and no review is nearly as good as seeing Marjoe in action! lol
Amy


2 comments:

  1. How did you get into the ARC gig?
    Also, are you aware of Shelfari.com? It's a book shelf site. Very Neat!! I'm on there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Amy! I'm happy your finally getting noticed by publishers..and soon you'll be busy reading tons of review copies like me! Although, I would like to ask, where did you recieve your ARC from? It looks like a good book, and I can't wait to read your review.

    Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf

    ReplyDelete