Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday Salon 11.21.10

Thanksgiving Day on Thursday! It's hard to believe it's already here. At least the weather in NYC seems to have decided, finally, to cool down for good. Today it's bright and sunny but chilly out. A perfect day for football! (Go JETS!) I love Turkey Day! It's the beginning of the Holiday Season for me. I think I'm going to join the reading weekend that 3 glorious days to do not much but read. Sounds pretty great! I'm sure I'll watch a few movies, too. I'm in a movie mood lately! I saw Precious this week. I'm going to review it after I've had some time to think about it. It knocked me off my feet a bit it was so powerful.

A beautiful, long-haired tabby mix - dark brown with black markings, small ears, lots of fluffy fur around her face and a big fluffy, gorgeous tail - has moved into the basement (there's a little hole where cats can enter from outside). I'm not sure if she was abandoned, lost or ran away, but she doesn't look as if she's been outside for long and there aren't any signs about her around the neighborhood. I think the cat is a girl. I hope so because we're calling her Ophelia! She's very skittish and extremely playful as well as noisy! She meows and makes all sorts of high-pitched twittering sounds when she's excited. She's started coming upstairs more and more, a little bit for the better selection of food but mostly to find toys and other cats to play with. When she isn't afraid anymore and is more trusting, she'll have to go to the Vet. I hate doing that to them but she needs a check-up. I hope I can get a picture of her soon!

The National Book Award fiction winner was announced this week: Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon. There's a good article/review about the book by Jane Smiley in The Washington Post. As for my reading etc., I finished The Postmistress by Sarah Blake and will be reviewing it this week I have a few other reviews from last week to post. I'm reading a terrific but also sad book about an adorable black kitten, Cleo by Helen Brown and will start Roomby Emma Donoghue in the next couple of days. I've also started purchasing, digging up and holiday-themed books to read in December beginning with The Reindeer Keeper by Barbara Briggs Ward.

I'm going to watch the JETS now. I hope you have a great Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. Precious is a very powerful movie so I can totally understand why you need to think about it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the game... and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually feels like fall here with the rain finally. I love this time of year! I look forward to seeing the new addition to your family. :-) Ophelia sounds like she's got quite the personality!

    I hope you have a great week, Amy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we have snow and lots of cold now so our weather has definitely gone downhill. Hope you enjoy your football game and Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see a pic of the kittie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe Ophelia has been home shopping and decided yours was the best around. Can't wait to see pictures. She sounds gorgeous.
    We are still having warm days, but its suppose to be cooler after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful of you to adopt Ophelia. Or perhaps she has adopted you!

    Enjoy your thanksgiving week with lots of good reading, movies and delicious food. My kitty Anni has been promised some tuna fish and she can't wait for Thursday to arrive.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ophelia sounds beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BERMUDAONION: It sure is Kathy! I don't know that I could stomach the book.

    JOANN: Thank you! The JETS won by the skin of their teeth. It was so unexpected the coach apologized for putting the fans through it! lol
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

    LITERARY FELINE: Ophelia is wonderful! Sweet, cuddly, playful. I'll have photos soon! I'm glad you're getting some Fall weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DARLENE: Its so good to see you here! Wow, snow!! A little soon for my taste but as long as your warm amd inside! Ophelia will be gracing my blog soon!

    SWEET VIRGINIA: I like the idea of Ophelia home shopping! I'm thrilled to have her and she's great with all the cats. Some of them need to warm up to her & hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PESKY CAT: Thank you! It'll be a nice week I think. You will be having your first Thanksgiving in your new home! BBBQ Turkey?! I'll think of Anni enjoying her tuna on Thursday!

    ERIN: Oh she is! I'll take some soon, just making sure all her nerves are settles and she's comfortable here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how cats just seem to find their way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So when will you feature a photo of Ophelia???

    I love Thanksgiving, too -- and the beginning of the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete