Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Salon - Thanksgiving Weekend

Happy Thanksgiving weekend! I hope you're all enjoying these days, relaxing, reading, watching football, eating, spending time with family and friends, shopping....God bless ya! I thought briefly of hitting Target on Friday and then wondered if I was nuts?! I've just been trying to take it easy this weekend.

I want to say Thank you to all of you who commented about Betsy's death. I really appreciate your kindness and best wishes. I keep forgetting that she's gone. I watch for Betsy to come in to eat or sit in her sleeping spot and Lola looks for her everywhere, that's probably the saddest. Ophelia, the new cat, has taken a sudden interest in Lola, following her around, sleeping by her and cleaning her. Lola doesn't appreciate all of it but even when she hisses a bit at Ophelia, it doesn't deter Ophelia, she keeps spending time with Lola as if she knows Lola needs a little extra attention right now! It's remarkable how cats...dogs, too...know when something sad has happened. They sense it. Ophelia is unlike any cat I've ever known in that she seems to like all of the cats here, even irascible Jazzy! Ophelia is trying to befriend all of them. A lot of the cats don't know what to make of her. She doesn't mind when they hiss at her or even hit her a bit...she thinks the other cats want to play when they do that and runs after them instead of away from them! It's very funny! And, as a result, Ophelia has been accepted by most of the other cats! She's still acting wary of the camera but I'll get some photos of her soon.

My reading has been a bit off this week since I've found it difficult to focus. But I have some reviews to post including Room by Emma Donoghue a little later in the week. I still need to think about that book a little bit! I'm trying to decide what to read next since I am almost finished with Cleo by Helen Brown. I am also reading The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton and finding it very interesting in parts.

Have a nice Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. I hope you're doing ok Amy. It sounds like Ophelia is taking on a mothering role and taking care of Lola. It's sweet. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to focus when you're grieving, so I can understand why you're not reading. Ophelia sounds like a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new love, Ophelia, and hugs to you over your loss. Will be looking for your thoughts on Room which I will be reading for book club next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing a furry friend is rough but seeing the others miss her too, that's sometimes even harder.

    Hey, I was the crazy fool that hit Target on Black Friday. The lines were not bad at all. All checkers open, only two to three people deep in each line, BUT...the store was ransacked! I got there at 9am and it was like a bomb went off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watched some football, but have been pretty excited about the return of college basketball, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I were talking today about Lenore's "kitty piles" and the fact that none of our cats like each other, even a little bit. They are all little bitches. I long for a kitty pile but it is not to be with ours. I hope Lola can get through her confusion and bond with Ophelia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad Ophelia has picked up the slack. You're right about animals seeming to sense when something's wrong.

    After doing all that cooking and preparing for Thursday, I was able to spend the day reading. What a gift that was!!! I'm reading the first in the Laarson trilogy and enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ophelia sounds like she is bringing exactly what is needed to your family right now. I'm glad you have her and your other kitties!

    ReplyDelete