Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. To participate share the opening paragraph or two of a book you've decided to read based on that paragraph.

Don't forget to drop by Bibliophile By the Sea and read Diane's selection this week and be sure to visit and read the contributions of other participants in this terrific meme who can be found in the comments!
The Folded Earth by Anuradha Roy
The Girls came at the same hour, summer or winter. Every morning, I heard her approach. Plastic slippers, the clink of steel on stone. And then her footsteps, receding. That morning she was earlier. The whistling thrushes had barely cleared their throats, and the rifle range across the valley had not yet sounded its bugles. And, unlike every other day, I did not hear her leave after she had set down my daily canister of milk.

She did not knock or call out. She was waiting. All went quiet in the blueness before sunlight. Then the soothing early morning mutterings of the neighborhood began: axes struck wood, dogs tried out their voices, a rooster crowed, wood-smoke crept in through my open window. My eyelids dipped again and I burrowed deeper into my blanket. I woke only when I heard the General walking his dog, reproaching it for its habitual disobedience, as if after all these years it still baffled him. “What is the reason, Bozo?” he said, in his loud voice. “Bozo, what is the reason?” He went past every morning at about six thirty, which meant that I was going to be late unless I ran all the way.
What are your thoughts about these paragraphs? Would you read this book based on these paragraphs?

7 comments:

  1. This one sounds very unique....I'm curious now! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eying this one all the time on my shelf lately. It sounds like one I'd enjoy --good intro Amy --enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds really good. Will look foward to your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the writing style! I don't know anything about this book but I would definitely want to read a bit more, at the least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I can't wait to read this one! It sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the little details setting the scene.

    ReplyDelete