Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday!

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog.

The following words are from Make It Stay by Joan Frank

Those rencontres occurred well after Mike was installed in the spaceship with Tilda; Addie then a blond elf.
1. Rencontres
: a casual meeting


One showed Mike from the rear, nude, kneeling on a bed at the feet of the prone nude body of what appeared to be a middle-aged woman with dark dyed hair, whose features wore, (as best as you could tell) an insensate expression.
2. Insensate
: without human feeling or sensitivity; cold; cruel; brutal.
: without sense, understanding, or judgment; foolish.


The following words come from The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones

Their departure had drawn the lurcher Forthright from his doze beneath the yews and he loped after them, barking wolfishly.
1. Lurcher
: a crossbred hunting dog, usually a greyhound cross with a collie, especially one trained to hunt silently


They had reached a landing and went through the baize door onto a corridor, travelled the length of the house and at last reached Smudge’s room, the only bedroom to abut the Old House, whose gloomy depths were directly through the wall against which her little iron bed stood.
2. Baize
: a soft, usually green, woolen or cotton fabric resembling felt, used chiefly for the tops of billiard tables


Clovis was nothing if not mercurial
3. Mercurial
: changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic
: animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.

8 comments:

  1. Oooh! Good words! I only knew one of them today! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your words, thanks! for sharing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/wondrous-words-wednesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    I knew all of your words from 'The Uninvited Guests', which sounds like a geat book and has been added to my reading list.

    I didn't know either of your words from 'Make It Stay' and I am not sure that this is a book that I would particularly enjoy, but interesting words nonetheless.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know 'lurcher.' I would have guessed that it was 'one who lurched.' LOL!

    Sounds like someone got some naughty photos of Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only word I knew was mercurial. I felt like I should know insensate but I didn't. I really don't like the idea of a lurcher. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lurcher is such a fabulous word. I knew insensate (another great word, easier to use than you might expect) and baize (but sadly it doesn't come up all that often!) and mercurial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew insensate from the phrase "insensate evil" but I'm not sure I fully understood the meaning, thanks!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the only word here that I know and use is mercurial. Great words!!!

    ReplyDelete