Monday, June 21, 2010

Movie Monday 6.21.10


Feature Presentation...
MONDAY MOVIE MEME


Today's movie topic is time travel. Molly from The Bumbles Blog was thinking that a time machine would make life so much easier...and she is soooo right! If you can think of any great movies about time travel, jot them down in your blog and then head on over to The Bumbles wonderful blog and post a link there!

Time After Time (1979) a great movie in which Michael McDowell ,cast as H. G. Wells, uses his time machine to chase after Jack the Ripper!

Time Bandits (1981) The screen play for this movie was written by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame who is also the writer and director. It's about a young boy who travels through time with a pack of dwarves using a map of space and time, meeting various historic notables such as Napoleon Bonaparte and Robin Hood, as well as Agamemnon, while being watched by Evil who wants the map for himself.

12 Monkeys (1995) also directed by Terry Gilliam and starring Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, Madeleine Stowe and Christopher Plummer. The earth has been contaminated by a deadly virus and everyone is forced to live underground in order to survive. Brad Pitt plays a criminal who, in the hopes of obtaining a pardon, agrees to attempt to travel back in time to try to collect information about the virus, thought to be released by a terrorist organization called The Army of the 12 Monkeys, and a pure sample of the virus, if possible, in order that a cure can be made.

Donnie Darko (2001) a psychological-thriller/fantasy about a troubled boy, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, who is plagued by doomsday visions and ideas, some delivered to him by a life-size menacing-looking rabbit, which he attempts to find the reasons and meaning behind. The movie also stars Mary McDonnell, Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Patrick Swayze, Noah Wylie and Maggie Gyllenhaal It's a strange, great movie!

Primer (2004) a very low-budget, fantastic movie about an accidental discovery of a way to time travel. The movie was written, produced and directed by a mathematician and former engineer, Shane Carruth. It's a sophisticated and complicated movie. I really enjoyed the movie, but admit that I didn't understand all of it and, apparently most people don't! But it's still a great movie and won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance in 2004!

9 comments:

  1. Amy! So good to see you girl! I so miss seeing you around, and you know I'm always thinking about you! I didn't participate in the Monday Movie Meme this week because I'm focusing on Audio Book Week, but I did really love Donnie Darko. Also Somewhere in Time, which happens to be one of my favorite romantic movies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've seen many time travel movies, but the first one that popped into my head was The Time Traveler's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen 12 Monkeys and it is one of my favorites, though a bit strange. Anyone remember "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour? One of the movie channels has been playing that one regularly this year. It is set in one of the most beautiful grand hotels!

    I read the "Time Traveler's Wife" but did not see the movie. I just could not believe the book could be translated very well into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a movie person (can you believe that?!! I haven't been to the movies is about 15 years!), so I haven't seen any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donnie Darko was a strange one. Saw it late last year and I'm still not sure if I liked it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, unlike KathyA, I AM a movie person and I haven't seen any of these either!!! I have heard of them - and I may have seen some of Time Bandits, but I think I would have remembered the dwarves ;0)

    Glad the topic spurred you into playing along this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, 12 Monkeys. So strange but I curiously enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... ดูบอลออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! imagefilm erstellen

    ReplyDelete