Tuesday, December 20, 2011

~ First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. In this meme, share the opening paragraph (or two) of a book you've decided to read based on that paragraph. This is a book I requested from TLC Book Tours to review for their January/February book tours after I read an excerpt of this book This book sounds sad and harrowing but very interesting with a compelling female character at the center of the story. I could not pass up this book!


Don't forget to drop by Bibliophile By the Sea to read Diane's selection this week and be sure to visit and read the contributions of other participants in this terrific meme!



All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson

I still know your face. I see it clearly as it was at the very beginning, not how it was left after I had hurt you.


I did not see the brightness of new life in your eyes when you were born or cradle your warm fleshy body to my chest, and wish now that I had. I wish I had just looked… but I did not let myself because to me you were still-born. You were not a living person to me then, but an object of hatred, created merely to be beaten and scarred.

When I think back through the tiredness and hunger we have endured for years now, searching through the pages of my memory that still serve me faithfully, I know I saw your lovely face when I was a young girl. It was in 1932 while I was out walking with Grandfather in those public gardens adjacent to our house, now forgotten and laid waste like the rest of Shanghai. I am certain now that I have always known and loved your face, it was only terror and pain that held me back from you. But all that I suffered then seems nothing compared to the suffering now being inflicted across this country and I know that I should never have let anything stop me from loving you. I wish that all those years ago I’d had the courage just to look at you, to feel the need and unconditional love in your fragile little body.
What are your thoughts about these opening paragraphs? Would you read this book based on these paragraphs?

7 comments:

  1. To be honest, I would read it based just on the cover and description, but the excerpt sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the cover and the title and am so lucky to have an ARC of the book! Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read this one, and will be starting this one next. It sounds so wonderful and I hope that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such an awesome intro (I am curious for more - for sure).

    Staci, selected the same intro this week...."great minds think a like ladies".

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading the first few chapters this one is definitely on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Amy to you and the kitties.

    ReplyDelete