Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday Salon - Cats, Books and the Green Bay Packers!

It's Super Bowl Sunday! I'll be rooting for the Green Bay Packers in a few hours! Of course, I wish I was going to be rooting for the Jets but they messed that up pretty bad (no I'm not slightly irritated! lol) But in all honesty, I really like Green Bay and have rooted a lot for them over the years, especially when I was younger. My dad grew up in Wisconsin so, although he rooted for NY teams when they were playing, the Packers were his team, yep he was a cheese-head! (Oh boy, do I love cheese!) I think the the Super Bowl is a lot of fun to watch, too.

NYC only had a few snow flurries this week, no real accumulations of snow. Finally! In the middle of the week we had a couple of days/nights of bad ice but compared to places like Chicago and Kansas, where friends of mine coped with some awful weather, ours was mild in comparison. What a winter, though! I haven't ventured out much at all since my wheelchair won't get too far in the snow and ice. But tomorrow I have a doctor appointment in Manhattan. I'm looking forward to going because I downloaded the first couple of discs of When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson and I'm really looking forward to listening too it. I hope I enjoy listening to books on tape because I have a few other audiobooks and it could be a fun, alternative way to read a book! It will also make it easier to cope with doctor appointments, tests and similar things that I cannot avoid.

The cats are well. Another cold passed from cat to cat for a while but seems to finally be gone. Gustav (aka Gus) (the cat who was mistakenly named Ophelia for a while until a vet's visit determined he is a boy not a girl!) was very sick with a cold for over a week. He stayed in the basement and stopped eating for a few days. I was about to take him to the vet when he popped upstairs and ate hungrily. What a relief!

I finished House Arrest a wonderful book by Ellen Meeropol and will review it soon. I started reading another book I'm reviewing for TLC Book Tours, Born Under A Lucky Moon by Dana Precious, it's her debut and I'm enjoying it. I've also just started The History of Love by Nicole Krauss which I've wanted to read for a long time and am very excited about. I'm almost finished with The Widow's Story by Joyce Carol Oates. I've been reading this book slowly, it's poignant, fascinating and even occasionally funny. I'm going to try to read at least one book for Lenore's Dystopian February at her blog, Presenting Lenore. I've been meaning to read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell for a while, this seems as good a time as any! There are too many great books to read, yay!

Enjoy your Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. You know what I have to say about the Superbowl:
    GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to a Super Bowl party but I probably won't pay any attention to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a team in this fight, but of the two, I've picked the Packers because I'd like to see Aaron Rogers get some recognition after being Favre's second fiddle for so many years...
    Good luck with your dr.'s appt tomorrow. Last year I started downloading audiobooks from the library onto my ipod and I found that I really enjoy it -- although the narrator has to be good as I won't listen if the narrator annoys me, even if the book is something I really want to read.
    I will look for your review of Oates' memoir; I read a rave review the other day, and have added it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you've got some great books going! I loved the audio of The History of Love, and I usually like JCO's books, too. Enjoy the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the kitties are on the mend!
    Just finished HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET. I enjoyed it very much. Can't get into Larsson's third of the trilogy. Will begin Fannie Farmer's latest.

    We'll watch the game today -- only if the Steelers aren't winning...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that your team takes the win! I have the game on, but it's more for my husband, as I am busily blogging away while all the action goes on! I am glad your kitty is feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was talking quite a bit of smack on Facebook about Green Bay winning so I'm sure glad they did!!

    We ate and ate but I was good. I paced myself with veggies and the like but when everyone left I had a bite of custard pie and that was all she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the kitties are better. My girls recovered quickly from their tummy problems. Hope you enjoyed getting out today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your team won Amy. I really did not care who won, but enjoyed a lot of the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see we were united in our Super Bowl allegiances this year! Hope you enjoyed the game - it was a goodie.

    I'll be interested to hear how you enjoy your foray into the audio book world...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have rather rooted for the Jets too but am glad the Packers won. Glad to hear your little kitty is better too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited to see that you are reading "Born Under a Lucky Moon" by Dana Precious and can't wait to hear your thoughts. I actually just finished the book and thought it was a fun and different story that is relatable to anyone from a big family. It’s a touching story and is based on some real life events of the author that include a surprise wedding and, sadly, a murder.

    You can visit the website to read sample chapters and the prologue at www.bornunderaluckymoon.com. They are also doing a giveaway at Essence of Life and SheKnows, if you or your readers are interested in winning a copy of the book or a Kindle!

    http://www.sheknows.com/contests/giveaway/win-a-free-kindle-and-copy-of-born-under-a-lucky-moon-sweeps

    http://essenceoflifechronicles.com/site/2011/01/enter-the-born-under-a-lucky-moon-contest/

    If your readers are in the LA area, Dana will be at the Barnes & Noble at 3rd Street Promenade on February 17th at 7pm doing a signing.

    Glad your kitty is better!

    ReplyDelete