Tuesday, October 11, 2011

~ First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. The idea is to share the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book you've decided to read based on the opening paragraph.  My book choice today is a psychological thriller that's been getting great reviews and I'm so excited to read it.  It's also another perfect title for the R.I.P. Challenge.
Be sure to drop by Bibliophile By the Sea and read Diane's terrific selection this week and be sure to visit and read the contributions of other participants in this terrific meme who can be found in the comments!
Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson

The bedroom is strange. Unfamiliar. I don’t know where I am, how I came to be here. I don’t know how I’m going to get home.
I have spent the night here. I was woken by a woman’s voice – at first I thought she was in bed with me, but then realized she was reading the news and I was hearing a radio alarm – and when I opened my eyes I found myself here. In this room I don’t recognize.
My eyes adjust and I look around in the near dark. A dressing gown hangs off the back of the wardrobe door – suitable for a woman, but someone much older than I am – and some dark-coloured trousers are folded neatly over the back of a chair at the dressing table, but I can make out little else. The alarm clock looks complicated, but I find a button and manage to silence it.
It is then that I hear a juddering intake of breath behind me and realize I am not alone.
What are your thoughts about this opening paragraph? Would you read this book based on these paragraphs?

11 comments:

  1. Ominous. I want to know what happens next and why he has lost his memory. Yes, I'd read on...

    Harvee(Book Dilettante)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this now and it is taking everything I have to get my housework done instead of just sitting and reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it -- creepy cover, creepy opening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, spooky. How do people end up in situations like this? Glad I can read about them instead of living them. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started this today and am LOVING it!!!!!! I think I'm going to be finishing it tomorrow as it has sucked me in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes...I am hooked by that intro. I hope this one ends up being this good all the way through.

    I do have the ARC and must squeeze it in.

    enjoy Amy and thanks so much for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want it!! What a compelling opening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd keep reading! This book has been on my wishlist for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard great things about this book. That is definitely an intro with a hook. I want to keep reading.

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to read this book, and reading your first paragraph intro has just reinforced that for me! I can't wait to hear what you think, and am hoping I can get to this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm listening to this one and it's really good so far.

    ReplyDelete