Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Salon ~ Here's to a new and better week and cats and books, too!

This is going to be a brief Sunday Salon. It's been one of those kinds of weeks...you know, where things keep going wrong...nothing major, just lots of little things. This was definitely a week during which, had I been planning to go to a china or glass shop or an Antiques store I would have rescheduled otherwise everything I touched would have smashed, cracked, splintered or shattered!


If they were more capable and able-bodied I'd suspect that cats of setting me up!  lol  As it is, after the behavior of a couple of them last week, I'm considering making them live indoors and closing the windows and doors to the outside world!  One of the cats find a whole fish in somebody's garbage (presumably) and brought it home! The cat dropped it outside right before coming inside, thank the lord! Gross!!  Unfortunately, Huxley didn't do the same with the very large cockroach he brought home with him two nights ago.  In fact he decided his new friend deserved the comfort of our bed! I think the people 4 blocks over heard my reaction to Huxley and his new friend!  Oy! lolol And Bob has decided he's on a different diet...he won't eat most of the food flavors he's been devouring for months and months. aaarrrgghhh!


I think my reading slump is fading. I finished Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh this week which was very good and very well written. I'm trying to decide if I want to read River of smoke. I'm really enjoying In the Woods by Tana French. The cat's veterinarian, who's awesome, loved this book but had major problems with The Likeness. I'm interested to see what I think when I get there. I'm also going to try to make some real headway with Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon and maybe something lighter, as Diane from Bibliophile by the Sea suggested. I bought The Three Weissmann's of Westport by Cathleen Schine at the flea market month ago. I've wanted to read this book since soon after it was published.  Lisa of  Lit and Life is reading it now which is further incentive since I love reading the same book as a friend. Sherlock Holmes has also been helping me work out my reading slump. The stories are fantastic! I remember many of them from watching the episodes on Netflix but Sherlock Holmes character should definitely be experienced in print, he's fascinating. And Watson's great, too!


I hope you're all enjoying your weekend!
Happy Reading!

12 comments:

  1. I do not miss those treasures our kittiess brought home to share with us, just the kitties. The Three Weissmans is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine how you would react with that big cockroach. I hope this week is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually liked The Likeness better than In the Woods. Faithful Place topped both of them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cats are so crazy! I'm glad you liked Sea of Poppies in the end. Thanks for reading it with me! If you want to coordinate reading for River of Smoke, let me know. I'd be up for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess your cat friends thought you needed a little pick-me-up! So nice f them!

    I walked out to my car in the driveway and there was a large black cat sitting there. Scared the hell out of me but he was playing with the field mice that were camping out by my car!

    A couple of years ago, I had to pay quite a bit for mouse damage to my car. Apparently, the wires on my car are made of soy. They chewed through them so when I saw that cat there... I was like, Thank you Mister Cat! Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, I can't imagine my puppy bringing home a cockroach! Your little kitties keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, at least the reading slump is easing... here's to a better week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get cockroach and lizard offerings all the time from our little guys, but a whole fish??!!?? I bet he thought he hit the jackpot! I am also glad he left it outside.

    I am glad to hear that the reading slump is abating and that you are getting back into the swing of things. It's a terrible feeling when you can't read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear … I hope the cats don't bring home any more "presents" for you!!

    And I'm just dying to see your review of In the Woods. I would think people would have more problems with that book than The Likeness because of the ending. you'll see. I can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My review of The Three Weissmanns of Westport will be posted on Tuesday. I really enjoyed it but my mom, who I had bought it for, didn't really care for it. If you're read Sense and Sensibility, I think you'll enjoy comparing the two.

    Hope this week is better and that those darn cats are better behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the goodies our cats brought home when we were kids. Sort of glad I don't have a pet after reading your cockroach story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes, I would not be at all happy with those kinds of presents from the cats! Yuck!

    Sorry to hear about your week. I can relate. You just think on those days that you should have put your head under the covers and stayed there.

    I'm glad t hear your reading slump is fading. Mine os unfortunately still there. I keep willing it away but no such luck yet.

    I hope yo enjoy your week and all the books you have planned to read Amy.

    ReplyDelete