Tuesday, October 18, 2011

~ First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. The idea is to share the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book you've decided to read based on the opening paragraph. I've wanted to read this book for a long time, particularly after I read several wonderful reviews about it. Last week I discovered that Beauty is a Sleeping Cat is hosting a group read of this book at the end of the month. I'm so excited about this!
Be sure to drop by Bibliophile By the Sea and read Diane's selection this week and be sure to visit and read the contributions of other participants in this terrific meme who can be found in the comments!

The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli

April 28, 1975
The city teetered in a dream state. Helen walked down the deserted street. The quiet was eerie. Time running out. A long-handled barber’s razor, cradled in the nest of its strop, lay on the ground, the blade’s metal grabbing the sun. Unable to resist, she leaned down to pick it up, afraid someone would split his foot open running across it. A crashing noise down the street distracted her — dogs overturning garbage cans — and she snatched blind at the razor. Drawing her hand back, a bright pinprick of blood swelled on her finger. She cursed at her stupidity and kicked the razor, strop and all, to the side of the road and hurried on.
The unnatural silence allowed Helen to hear the wailing of the girl. The child’s howl was high and breathless, defiant, rising, alone and forlorn against the buildings, threading its way through the air, a long, plaintive note spreading its complaint. Helen crossed the alley and went around a corner to see a small child of three or four, hard to tell with the ubiquitous malnourishment, standing against the padlocked doorway of a bar. Her face and hair drenched with the effort of her crying. She wore a dirty yellow cotton shirt sizes too large, bottom bare, no shoes. Dirt circled between her toes.

What are your thoughts about these 2 opening paragraphs? Would you read this book based on these paragraphs?
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved this book, and our book club was lucky enough to get the chance to chat with Soli for our meeting. She was incredibly friendly and bright, and she had such interesting things to say about how the book was created and how she wrote it. This is just such an excellent read, and I hope that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So descriptive, but sad. I'm not sure if it's one I want to pick up or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the writing and the scene is very poignant. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the writing, and already I feel badly for the girl:( Hope you enjoy this as much as Heather did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting and I feel sad for the little girl.
    Here's Mine: http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-chapter-first-paragraph-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. From those paragraphs I would want to read this. The best thing is I actually have this book in my piles somewhere. I've heard from so many people that it's fantastic. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the first two paragraphs... have this book on my ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally want to read this one now -- never heard of it -- so it's going on the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. researh paper writing service

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! paper writing service review

    ReplyDelete