Tuesday, January 10, 2012

~ First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. In this meme, I share the opening paragraph(s) of a book I've decided to read based on the paragraph(s). I’m participating in Orange January  hosted by The Magic Lasso. This is one of the books nominated for the Orange Prize that I plan to read. It’s received some wonderful reviews from other bloggers and I’m really looking forward to reading this book as well as several of the author‘s other books.
Don't forget to drop by Bibliophile By the Sea and read Diane's selection this week and be sure to visit and read the contributions of other participants in this terrific meme.

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
 
So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you've become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped, and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord's door.


For she was standing at her open window, in a collarless shirt and a pair of greyish underpants, smoking a cigarette and watching the coming and going of Mr Leonard's patients. Punctually, they came — so punctually, she really could tell the time by them: the woman with the crooked back, on Mondays at ten; the wounded soldier, on Thursdays at eleven. On Tuesdays at one an elderly man came, with a fey-looking boy to help him: Kay enjoyed watching for them. She liked to see them making their slow way up the street: the man neat and dark-suited as an undertaker, the boy patient, serious, handsome — like an allegory of youth and age, she thought, as done by Stanley Spencer or some finicky modern painter like that.


After them there came a woman with her son, a little lame boy in spectacles; after that, an elderly Indian lady with rheumatics. The little lame boy would sometimes stand scuffing up moss and dirt from the broken path to the house with his great boot, while his mother spoke with Mr Leonard in the hall. Once, recently, he'd looked up and seen Kay watching; and she'd heard him making a fuss on the stairs, then, about going on his own to the lavatory.


"Is it them angels on the door?" she had heard his mother say. "Good heavens, they're only pictures! A great boy like you!"
Kay guessed it wasn't Mr Leonard's lurid Edwardian angels that frightened him, but the thought of encountering her. He must have supposed she haunted the attic floor like a ghost or a lunatic.
What are your thoughts about these 2 opening paragraphs? Would you read this book based on these paragraphs?

7 comments:

  1. I have this book, and want to read it soon, so yes, I would go for it based on these paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting . . . I think I'd like to read a little more. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Sarah Waters. This book took awhile to grow on me, but is heartbreaking and creative in a very subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover and how retro-y and battered it looks -- very nice. I'm sort of off Sarah Waters at the moment -- I've read three of her books and found them exhausting, but what you've included here is rather catchy! Darn you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have it unread and by these intro paragraphs, I can't wait to read it -- not sure why I haven't?? good pick Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes … I would keep reading. In fact, I plan to read this at some point during the year.

    ReplyDelete