Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Salon: Reading Weather!


Winter has arrived, it’s not supposed to get above 28 degrees today! Time to hibernate! I don’t go out very much at all when it’s this cold.  The crisp, clean air is refreshing in small doses but if I’m out in it for too long, it has an adverse effect on my lungs and breathing and also tends to make my bones hurt more. But so long as I’m not out for more than 15 or 20 minutes without a break from the cold it’s okay. And the cold provides a great argument for snuggling under a warm blanket...or a cat or two...with a cup of tea and a good book! I seem to be experiencing the opposite of a reading slump! I have a lot of books I’m really interested in reading now so much so that I’m having difficulty picking which one to read next! I’m not complaining, though, just relaying...this is much preferred to a reading slump!


The cold temps have brought the cats inside. On the really cold nights, like last night, a couple of neighborhood cats, confirmed nomads unwilling to commit to one home, wander in late looking for a warm spot to sleep. So I’ve got a full house of felines these days. I’ve been surprised by how well they’re all behaving, too. There have been a few hissing & ’boxing’ matches, a few dust-ups but considering how many of them are here and the mix of personalities, it hasn’t been bad. It certainly helps that they spend most of the time sleeping...with some snacking, too, of course! The new addition is fitting in well. He’s so cute. I hope to have some photos soon.


On the book front, I’m finally making a dent in the reviews I want to do...I still have quite a few to finish but I’m getting there. I hope to post reviews of The Night Circus and The Three Weissmanns of Westport this week, along with some others. I finished reading All the Flowers in Shanghai by Duncan Jepson. My review is due towards the end of the week. The main character is something else, very intriguing among other things! I’m really enjoying Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. His writing is mesmerizing and engages me immediately. Some how Murakami makes even the most mundane of scenes interesting in the way he writes and through his descriptions. I find that he really makes me think about the characters and their lives. I’m participating in Orange January at Jill's blog, The Magic Lasso so I started reading Molly Fox’s Birthday by Deidre Madden. So far I’m finding the subjects the narrator talks about very interesting. I’m not very far into the book, yet, but so far there’s been almost no dialogue, just the narrator talking about Molly Fox. It’s different than many of the books I read and I like that.


So that’s about it from my quiet corner of Brooklyn. I’m planning to work on reviews today and continuing reading Norwegian Wood and Molly Fox’s Birthday.
What are your plans today? Are you reading something good? I hope so!

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, it does sound like it's a good day to snuggle under the covers with some tea and kitties and get some reading done!

    I am reading Graveminder for a book tour, and loving it! It has such great worldbuilding, and a fantastic plot and characters. I recommend it to you.

    I am glad to see that your reading slump is over! It's always so hard when you are in the middle of one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is awesome that you let the neighborhood cats in too! I am ready to stay in for the winter too. I was reading outside just a few days ago. Now I can't stand to be out there more than 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not kidding that you have been on a roll with reading! Holy cow. I wish some of that would transfer to me!

    And there is nothing quite like a cold day or night with a kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm at my in-laws in Virginia and it's cold here, too, but I haven't had a chance to read much. You've been reading like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested to see what you think of The Three Weissmans... I've tried to read that book twice, and just can't get into it!

    It's terribly cold here too. I've been curled up in blankets with my two little dogs for extra warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On these cold days we've had lately, I really wish I weren't allergic to cats. I miss the days before my allergies got so bad and a cat could curl up with me and keep me warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is reading weather! I kept wondering when it was going to get cold and now I know! I just finished Norwegian Wood. It was good but not what I expected … it was more straightforward than I thought it would be based on what I'd heard of Murakami's writings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are enjoying that Murakami. If I had my way, everyone would be reading him. LOL.

    It's so nice of you to let those rogue kitties hole up with you during this cold spell. When you said boxing matches, I totally remembered when I had more than one cat in the house and how they'd mix it up every now and then. It's funny to watch.

    Stay warm! So Cal was a frosty 33 degrees when I got into the car this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're still planning on joining in on the Savage Detectives discussions next weekend, Amy, but starting your year off with Murakami sounds like another fine way to kick off the year. Happy reading to you!

    ReplyDelete