Monday, July 19, 2010

Movie Monday - Antidote to Boredom!


Feature Presentation...
MONDAY MOVIE MEME




July is Anti-Boredom Month! Therefore today's movie topic is the movies you turn to when you are bored! You know, the movies that keep your attention focused and distract you from the boredom that plagues you! This week, although Molly will be missed again, we have another great Guest Director, Forgetfulone! She's a movie buff whom we have to thank for this cool topic! Thank you! What movies prevent you from being bored, particularly during these dog-days of summer?! If you can think of any great movies you'd like to share with fellow bloggers jot them down in your blog and then head on over to The Bumbles Blog and post a link there!

The Usual Suspects (1995) This is a fantastic movie starring Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chaz Palminteri, Kevin Pollak, Benicio del Toro, Stephen Baldwin... This movie is about a group of criminals, a massacre and massive fire aboard a ship docked in the Port of Los Angeles and a mysterious mob boss who has everyone running scared, "Keyser Soze". The movie opens with the interrogation of criminal Roger "Verbal" Kint (Spacey) who is telling a U.S. Customs Agent (Palminteri) a convoluted story about how the ship came to be destroyed. This movie has terrific twists and turns, is entertaining, suspenseful, a little scary, humorous and full of adventure. If you haven't seen it, be sure to as soon as possible!

The Untouchables (1987) Directed by Briam De Palma and adapted by David Mamet from a television series in the '50s, it stars Kevin Costner as Eliot Ness, Sean Connery as Irish-American beat cop, Jim Malone and Robert De Niro as Al Capone. This is the autobiographical story of Eliot Ness's attempts to bring the gangster Al Capone to justice during Prohibition.




The Sting (1973) Starring Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Robert Shaw. Newman & Redford play two professional grifters who attempt to con a mob boss. This is a fun entertaining movie with a great musical score!


Monsters, Inc. (2001) A feature-length, computer-animated film from Pixar Animation Studios. Monstropolis is a monster-populated city & Monsters Inc. serves as the main power utility. Company employees scare children whose screams then provide the power for the city. The company's scare floor has special doors that link to the children's closets . But the children are becoming less scared. James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (voiced by John Goodman) is the top scarer. One day he finds a child loose on the scare floor. He recruits his best friend, Michael "Mike" Wazowski (voiced by Billy Crystal), to help him return her. While trying to do so without being caught, Sulley and Mike discover that Randall Boggs (voiced by Steve Buscemi) is up to no good and threatening the lives of the children. Sulley and Mike set out to fix everything! This is a terrific movie!




Love and Death ( 1975 ) A Woody Allen comedy starring Allen and Diane Keaton this movie satirizes the Russian Epic novels. It is filled with humor and lots of laughs as well as many philosophical debates. Definitely worth seeing!


Jagged Edge (1985) A courtroom thriller starring Glenn Close, Jeff Bridges, Peter Coyote and Robert Loggia.
The movie begins with a horrific murder of a woman at her home set off by itself near the beach. The woman's husband is soon arrested. He tries to hire the most high-profile attorney around and the twists and turns start here and keep coming. This is a suspenseful, exciting, riveting movie that grabs your attention and keeps it to the very end!


Memento (2000) A psychological thriller starring Guy Pierce portrays Leonard Shelby a man with anterograde amnesia who is unable to store new memories. He is searching for the man who raped and killed his wife in the bathroom of their home. Leonard has to cope with how to figure out how to remember what he discovers each day during his search. This is a really interesting, unique movie that requires major focus.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love both Memento (in fact I almost listed it...keeps the brain hopping!) and The Usual Suspects. That is when I fell in love with Kevin Spacey. I think I flew over the moon when he won the Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Sting is so classic Redford is gorgeous!Monsters is a great way to fight boredom but the Jagged edge wow what a great thrill to pass the time love it! Yep I have to agree with Sandy Kevin Spacey is awesome I will watch anything he is in! Great list Amy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Ususal Suspects and Memento. It looks like I need to see Jagged Edge and for some unknown reason, I've never seen The Sting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one of those movies I've seen is The Sting and it's been years since I've seen it. You've made me want to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we have to go purely on entertainment value then a classic with Audrey Hepburn or Cary Grant. Perhaps even "My Cousin Vinny" - a modern day comedy.

    For heavy value, "Shock Corridor" is amazing and I like noir movies too like "Phantom Lady".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monsters, Inc! Another of my faves! You have a great list here. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have you gone to see Inception yet? It's by the same creators as Memento.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - I just realised I haven't seen any of those films. I am not a big film person anymore. I tend to pick up a book rather than watch a film these days. I know I am boring, I should definitely be more balanced with my activities. Glad to see you back in action Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God I totally wish I had thought of your list - I kept sitting there trying to come up with some plot twisting selection and all that came to me was Momento - which I enjoyed but it made my brain hurt! The Sting or The Usual Suspects however - I could watch those until the cows come home. And then I'd invite the cows in to watch them with me again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Memento ... but it took all my mental powers to follow it. The same director just released Inception, which is another great intelligent keep your mind focused film. You won't be bored during it!

    And I caught the end of The Usual Suspects the other night and remembered why it was so incredibly good. Love your diverse list!

    ReplyDelete