Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7.7.10


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog.


These words are from The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano

"I am so effete from being disarmed, I am numb." (p. 74)

1.Effete [ih - feet] -adj.
1. lacking in wholesome vigor; degenerate; decadent
2. exhausted of vigor or energy; worn out
3. unable to produce; sterile


"Like a libidinous adolescent, I've been concerned with where and how I am going to lose my virginity, an insensate thing to scheme, in general; I should've been most concerned with the if."
(p. 199)

2. Insensate {in-'sen-,sat} -adj.
1.lacking sense or understanding; foolish.
2.lacking animate awareness or sensation
3.lacking human feeling; brutal


"And there is something so alluring, almost amatory, about a guy who buys clothes for a woman." (p.102)

3. Amatory {am-uh-tawr-ee} -adj.
1. of or pertaining to lovers or lovemaking; expressive of love.
2. of, relating to or expressing sexual love.

4 comments:

  1. These are some great words...I also need to go look up libidinous! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words from a fun book! Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my days teaching SAT prep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the first two but amatory is new to me and a word I'm surprised is not used more often.

    ReplyDelete