Wednesday, February 15, 2012

~ ~ Wondrous Words Wednesday ~ ~

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog.


The following words are from Gillespie and I by Jane Harris:
" However, this horrid cauchemar seems to have reawakened some of my uneasiness about Sarah.”


1. Cauchemar (French)
: nightmare




"In any case, a few days later, I went to view Merlinsfield, which turned out to be an old jointure house, close by the shores of a loch."


2. Jointure
: the property created by a provision made by a husband for his wife settling property upon her at marriage for her use after his death
: the act of joining or the condition of being joined




" Now, the artist was determined to spend every daylight hour, toiling and moiling, in his studio and - with single-minded intensity - he began to prepare for his solo show at Hamilton’s gallery .”


3. Moiling
: requiring hard work; industrious
: toil; drudgery




" ‘No doubt, they‘ll be back any minute, though,’ said Annie. ‘She can only ever thole them for half an hour.’"


4. Thole (Chiefly Scottish)
: to suffer; bear; endure




The following words are from Night Swim by Jessica Keener:


" ‘Did she smell the odor of our missing mother, the listless air, the home’s chronic desuetude?’ "


1. Desuetude
: the state of being no longer used or practiced




" It might be that he didn‘t see the sense in Robert‘s needling and insouciance - Robert‘s ability to create barriers on the smallest scale - not letting Elliott touch his fish tank, for instance."


2. Insouciance
: lack of care or concern; indifference

6 comments:

  1. There are some days when I feel as if I am moiling on my computer. I have to remind myself I do it for fun. All good new words this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew.... the four French words, but thole and moiling were new for me. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I should have known moiling, but I didn't. It reminds me of toiling so maybe I can remember it. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words!! I knew jointure, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was just delivered to my doorstep today! I can't wait to read it, and I enjoyed all your new words. Now I won't be going into the book blind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All new words for me today. Moiling is certainly interesting, and something I often do. I think I want to moan about moiling.....

    ReplyDelete