Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday!



Bermudaonion's Weblog hosts a weekly meme where we share new words encountered by us in our reading. Words are very entertaining and interesting, I love them. I have lists of them everywhere! This is the first time I am participating!

My words are from America America by Ethan Canin a terrific book I recently finished.

Obverse: (ob-vurs)–noun
1.the side of a coin, medal, flag, etc., that bears the principal design (opposed to reverse ).
2.the front or principal surface of anything.
3.a counterpart.
4.Logic. a proposition obtained from another by obversion.

Homunculus: –noun, plural -li  [huh-muhng-kyuh-luhs.]
1.an artificially made dwarf, supposedly produced in a flask by an alchemist.
2.a fully formed, miniature human body believed, according to some medical theories of the 16th and 17th centuries, to be contained in the spermatozoon.
3.a diminutive human being.
4.the human fetus.(noun. huh-muhng-kyuh-luhs) {plural - ho·mun·cu·li (-lī')}

Hale: (hāl) {–adjective, hal⋅er, hal⋅est. -noun, haleness}
free from disease or infirmity; robust; vigorous: hale and hearty men in the prime of life.

Amy

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to join in the fun! Homunculus was one of the first words I featured, so I knew that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love words and was one of the few teachers I know who loved teaching vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Gosh! My eight year old is a little brainiac and she will LOVE this!!!!
    Love to you tonight!

    ReplyDelete