Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday!

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog.

These words are from Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt:


"But this particular visitation of yours is different so I am requesting parley." (p.181)


1. Parley (used as noun or verb)

: a discussion or conference

: an informal conference between enemies under a truce, especially to discuss terms and conditions of surrender : to speak, talk, confer

"This is an ambush. No, it's an affinity. I didn't initiate." (p.175)

** I'm not familiar with affinity being used in this way so I included it here!


2. Affinity ~ noun : a natural liking for or attraction to a person, thing, idea : relationship by marriage or by ties other than those of blood



The following words are from Fury by Salman Rushdie:


"But New York in this time of plenty had become the object and goal of the world's concupiscence and lust, and the "insult" only made the rest of the planet more desirous than ever." (p.6)


3. Concupiscence ~ noun

: ardent, usually sensuous, longing


"Little Brain, his hip, fashion-conscious but still idealistic Candide, his Valiant-for-Truth in urban-guerilla threads, his spiky-haired girl-Bashó journeying, mendicant bowl in hand, far into the Deep North of Japan." (p.17)


4. Mendicant ~ adj.

: begging; practicing begging; living on alms

: pertaining to or characteristic of a beggar

5 comments:

  1. I've heard of a few of these, great words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen affinity used in that way either. How interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 of these words I have heard of and used, but two of them are completely new to me. Thanks for sharing them with me. I am always on the lookout for new words to add to my vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic words Amy! And I never heard affinity used in that way.
    Wishing you and all your furry friends a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across parley last year in Swallows and Amazons- funny how you remember where some words come from.... I must admit to liking concupiscence, but whilst Salman Rushdie may be able to drop it into a sentence, I don't think I can.

    ReplyDelete