Thursday, September 17, 2009

BBAW #4: I've Been Influenced!


Today's the day to blog about a book you read only because you discovered it on another book blog and you realized you couldn’t live without it! And then you read it and you loved it! Tell us about it and about the blogger (or bloggers!) that introduced the book to you!
I haven't yet read any books I discovered in the blogs I read because since I started my blog in July, I received several ARCs for review and I already had several other books I wanted to read or I was already reading. So I can't actually talk about a book I've read after discovering it on a blog (sorry!). But I can talk about my very tall TBR pile (this pile is Tall, I'm short...yea, okay, I'm really short...and this pile is almost as tall as me!) This pile is totally the fault of all of you bloggers out there with your book blogs writing such great reviews of wonderful books that I'm just itchin' to grab up and start reading...and I will soon! And my TBR list of books I still need to get, well, let's just say Santa's got nothing on me, his list is paltry compared to mine! lolol
Reading the different blogs and bloggers reviews of books, I have started to branch out and try some new genres (new for me) and this really excites me. I've never read historical fiction because I didn't know anyone who did, I didn't have anyone to discuss it with and, honestly, it intimidated me. I discovered Amy's blog, Passages to the Past and that all changed. Amy was hosting a giveaway of the book The King's Grace by Anne Easter Smith when I first started reading her blog. I really liked her review of the book and it sounded so interesting and exciting. I didn't win the book but I bought it! I'm looking forward to reading it. Amy's blog also introduced me to Georgette Heyer and the many wonderful books she has written. I also read about Heyer at Jane Austen Today a fantastic blog for anyone who loves Jane Austen's and similar books.
I discovered and started reading Age 30+...A Lifetime of Books just last week, another wonderful blog for historical fiction. Heather's reviews are fantastic and I will be buying several books I read about in her blog. Congratulations on winning Best Historical Fiction Blog, Heather!
The other genre that is new for me is YA Fiction. I had a mistaken notion of YA and have since discovered that although some YA books may be too young for adult readers, most are not. I began to realize this when I received an ARC of Undiscovered Gyrl by Allison Bennett. After I read and reviewed it, I searched for some blogs that review YA. I discovered a fantastic blog, Mrs Magoo Reads. I am happy to have added Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, The Adoration of Jenna Fox and The Miles Between by Mary E Pearson and North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley to my pile/list. I read reviews of these books on several other blogs but I cannot seem to find my list right now (sorry! keeping track of which blog/blogger I get a book recommendation from is something I'm working on doing much better, promise!)
One other blog that I forgot to mention on Monday and will mention now because many of the books in my pile and on my list I read reviews of on Book Addiction. Heather reads and reviews a wonderful variety of books - contemporary fiction, classical literature, romance, historical fiction. I read reviews of several Sarah Dessen books (I kept seeing her name in blogs!) and of many of the books I listed above. Blue Water by A Manette Ansay, The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller (a favorite author of mine) made my pile/list!
Amy

4 comments:

  1. I'm not short and I still think if I stacked all of my tbr books the pile would be as tall as I am. Thus my current moretorium on purchases! That doesn't keep from going to the library or getting review books, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute! Blogging is wonderful that way. The excitement of a good book, even one outside your comfort zone, is infectious. It makes us more well-rounded readers, and forms a bond. Great post! BTW Cormac McCarthy rocks. Not only The Road but everything he writes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - thank you so much Amy for such a nice write-up! I'm so happy that you are able to indulge your HF fancies over at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are going to be diving into some historical fiction. I really enjoy it myself and am sure you will too. :-)

    ReplyDelete