Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Thoughts over coffee


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. Melody Beattie

I have read many of Melody Beattie's writings over the years, more in my high school, college and law school years than recently. They often gave me a different perspective on things that were happening in my life and on the behavior of people in my life. I also learned about being grateful for the things I had in my life. But I didn't always feel grateful for everything. Then I met a wonderful group of women who taught me about gratitude. For the past ten years, I have learned from these friends what it means to be grateful and how to be grateful for the things in my life, even the little things, like homemade chocolate chip cookies! It's easy for me to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, which differs for each of us, and to forget to be grateful but most days I remember to be grateful for at least one thing. Sometimes it's not until I'm crawling into bed at night that I remember I don't want to close out this day without being grateful for something. Usually on days like that the something is the warm, furry cat lying nearby or that my husband isn't snoring...yet! lol Whether it's a good day filled with things to be happy and grateful for or a trying, tiring day when gratitude is more difficult to muster,it's a reminder, for me, that no matter what life brings, I still have many things to be thankful for.

Amy

7 comments:

  1. Lovely post Amy. I am learning to be more grateful for things. At this moment in time, I am grateful for the peace surrounding me and the fact I don't have to cook as the girls have gone out to tea with a friend and hubby is fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Amy. I don't remember where I got this idea, but years ago started keeping a grateful journal, usually filled out at night before I go to bed. It really sifts out the priorities and causes me to step back and relax. Even if it is having a roof over my head, no hurricanes coming our way, a sleepy kitty at my feet, or healthy children, it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great quote, Amy, and a wonderful post. It's a good reminder to count our blessings, so to speak, and remember what we have to be grateful for. It's easy to lose sight of that, especially on the worst of days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gratitude and Attitude are everything.
    PS If you can think of anything to stop a husband's snoring (tried everything) short of putting a pillow over his face, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so inspirational! Thanks for bringing a smile and gratitude to my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ongratitude. I love it! I get such joy when I sit and just think about all the simple things that make me so happy.

    ReplyDelete