Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Salon!


The New York JETS just beat the New England Patriots in football! It was a fantastic game. It looks like the Jets new quarterback , Mark Sanchez, is handling his role better than some expected. He looked very good on the field today and wow, can he throw that football! It was a fun, a really fun game to watch.
Mr. Magoo and little Betsy watched with us! They're the two cats who most like sitting & sleeping wherever we are. Huxley, the sleeping white cat in the picture from yesterday's post, he usually plops down sometime in the afternoon for a nap. He's a very solid sleeper and his position in that picture is one of his favorites!
The pretty calico cat with no tail (we've been calling her Belle) Sam and I have been trying to befriend has come around the last 4 or 5 days straight. We feed her and now she lets us pet her! Some of our neighbors think she's pregnant. I hope not for her sake. She's been pregnant several times already and had litters of adorable kittens. But it's hard to tell if she's pregnant now - she eats like she's pregnant. She easily polishes off 2 large cans of cat food and an hour later will eat a small can. Some of our neighbors feed her too! This week Sam and I are going to try to get Belle to the vet either using a Have-a-Heart Trap or a regular cat carrier. We don't have to pick her up and put her in the trap which is the advantage since we don't know how she'll react if we pick her up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this all works out!
Did I mention some of my neighbors are also "crazy cat people"? The people 3 or 4 doors down rescue cats and adopt many. They have 12 or 13 cats! We're thinking about taking a class together that's offered by the ASPCA. Once you take it, the ASPCA will help us get stray & homeless cats neutered and get them to a veterinarian. It's only 1 day so it seems worthwhile.
I haven't been reading much this weekend or not so much books. I read the newspapers and several magazines. I started The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan. It's written very well and I'm enjoying it, it's just taking me a little time to get into it. I'm not sure what else I'm going to read this week, maybe Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea which I got from Sarah at what we have here is a failure to communicate or The Possibility of Everything by Hope Edelman. I read Motherless Daughter's and really loved it, I was able to relate to so much of what Edelman wrote and I'm looking forward to The Possibility of Everything.
The New York Times Book Review has interesting reviews of Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood , Joyce Carol Oates Little Bird of Heaven and Love and Summer by William Trevor among several others.
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
Amy

6 comments:

  1. Our newest, Ziggy, eats like he is pregnant, but we attribute that to being a teenage boy. You guys sound a lot like us. We won't turn a stray down for any reason, and luckily my daughter is a cat whisperer. They can't resist her. Wild cats will let her pick them up.

    I have one more week of insanity with the Book Fair, then I'm hoping to get back to my normal routine of reading. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That class seems well worth it and really right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you a football fan in general or just a Jets fan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just published a picture book of my cat Tom who reached the ripe age of about 22. 25% of the proceeds goes to the ASPCA.

    http://www.prlog.org/10317607-beautiful-new-photo-book-documents-the-life-of-one-mans-unique-friend.html

    Carl Henriksen

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watched some football this weekend, too. University of Michigan beat Eastern Michigan University. Great game!

    I think it's wonderful that you are looking after Belle. We took care of about a dozen stray cats when we lived in our last house. I wonder what became of them after we moved.

    I haven't been reading much other than magazines, lately. I need to get out and get myself some new books. I need to take your reviews with me when I go to the book store!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a cat lying in my arms this afternoon while I took a little break from my cleaning. I have a furlough day today and am trying to play catch-up. I hope Belle isn't pregnant for her sake either. She's one hungry cat! Good luck trapping her!

    I hope you enjoy The Day the Falls Stood Still. I've been wanting to read that one and Into the Beautiful North. Both sound good.

    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete