Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday!



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog.


The first two words are from The Possibility of Everything by Hope Edelman.

1.Kythe (also kithe) [kayth] {verb, Scot., or North England}
To make known by action; show; demonstrate; prove.
To make known by words, announce; declare; proclaim

"The main character's could kythe each other's thoughts, a form of mind communication without words."

2. Iconoclast {ahy-kon-uh-klast}-noun
A person who attacks cherished beliefs, traditional institutions etc., as being based on error or superstition.
A breaker or destroyer of images, esp. those set up for religious veneration.

"It's too easy for me to picture Maya as the kindergarten iconoclast, insisting on an empty little chair permanently positioned next to hers, the teacher calling me at home to discuss a "little problem"."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This word is from The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

3. Talus {tey-luhs, tal-uhs} -noun
A slope.
A sloping mass of rocky fragments at the base of a cliff.

"A moment later he is snatching a coiled rope from one of the men on the bank and then running along the shoreline, scrambling over the rocky fragments of the talus slope, avoiding boulders too large to leap, keeping pace with the ice cake floating the boy down the river."

9 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Great words today! I didn't know any of them. I have four at my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/09/wondrous-words-wednesday_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never guessed the pronunciation for "kythe." So that's the scottish pronunciation??? interesting. Thank you.

    http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2009/09/wondrous-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitty is just adorable. Had to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words this week, and I didn't know any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words! I might be able to use kythe sometime if I can remember to how to pronounce it. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely learning a lot of new words through your blog!
    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a fascination with words, I love these posts!

    I will be sending you an email later in the day with information about the cocktail party and your five words. I'm so glad you decided to participate in both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting words. I would have never pronounced kythe right. I have both books here to read. Now I'll know the words when I come to them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd like to have a little kythe like the characters had in my life - great communication.

    ReplyDelete