Monday, October 12, 2009

Movie Monday!


Monday Movies is a fun event started by Sheri at A Novel Menagerie. If you have a movie you want to share or a TV show, write a post about it and then enter a link to your post in the Mr. Linky over at A Novel Menagerie!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


State of Play


2009 American Political Thriller

Starring: Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren, Robin Wright Penn and Jason Bateman

Director: Kevin MacDonald

Time: 2 hours 10 minutes

This movie is an adaptation of the six-part British television serial, State of Play but condensed into 2 hours with the setting moved to Washington DC.


A young woman, Sonia, who is the lead researcher on the staff of Congressman Stephen Collins, is killed one morning on her way to work. Many question if it is a suicide especially when it is quickly uncovered that she was also the Congressman's mistress. The night before, though, a young thief is killed by a man carrying a briefcase and an attempt is made on the life of a pizza delivery man who supposedly witnessed the thief's death. Is it possible the 2 deaths and the attempted murder are connected?

Reporter Cal McCaffrey, an old friend of the Congressman, begins investigating Sonia's death with the help of blogger and reporter Delia Frye. They quickly discover intriguing and disturbing facts that lead them to unexpected places and truths they never imagined.

This is an exciting, captivating story that keeps your attention every minute. I don't want to give away any more of the movie. Trust me, it's better to watch it unfold in front of you. This movie commands your attention with an intriguing story and a fantastic cast that does a wonderful job. This is a fantastic movie!

8 comments:

  1. I really loved that movie. It was so well done and Russell Crowe's performance was so good. I even liked Ben Affleck - which doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this does sound like a good movie...it's been added to my netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this movie several weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It kept me on edge until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the trailer, I rolled my eyes and said "please, not another one". It seems like these movies (action, drama, he-man, conspiracy, etc.) are a dime a dozen. So I was taken aback when I saw that the reviews were excellent! I DO happen to like Crowe and McAdams. I'll have to get this one on my Netflix Q!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just watched this yesterday and we both liked it. You really had to pay attention and what a surprise the ending was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Chad - Ben just doesn't do it for me as an actor. But seeing that he enjoyed his performance means that I may just take your recommendation and add it to the Netflix queue after all. I do like a good thriller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this one and don't remember hearing about it before. It sure sounds good though! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chad: Glad you liked it, it was better than I expected! Ben Affleck did a very good job and Russel Crowe was good but I really enjoyed Helen Mirren in that role!

    Jo-Jo: I hope you like it! It's very good, much better than I thought it would be, it really keeps your attention and there are some very good surprises!

    Sweet Virginia: Exactly! It kept my attention all the way through! I'm so glad you liked it too!

    Sandy: I had the same reaction as you did! But Sam read some reviews and said it was supposed to be way better than the usual stuff like it. And it was great! I hope you enjoy it!

    Lisa: It was right? I liked that it was intelligent and you had to pay attention and follow closely, but they made it worthwhile to do so.

    The Bumbles: I go back & forth on Ben but in this movie he doesn't play a good guy, he's a sleeze so you don't have to like him and he plays the part quite well. Don't miss this movie because of him, trust me!

    Literary Feline: I'd forgotten about it but I saw it on cable On Demand's list of movies and remembered we were interested in it. It's interesting, intelligent, riveting and funny too. I hope you enjoy it if you watch it!

    ReplyDelete