Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday!


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun (please do!) Be sure to leave a link to your post over at Bermudaonion's Weblog!


All of my words come from Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

" Nature had come into her own again and, little by little, in her stealthy, insidious way had encroached upon the drive with long tenacious fingers."

Insidious {in-sid-ee-uhs} -adj.
1.intended to entrap or beguile.
2.stealthily treacherous or deceitful.
3.operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect.



"I had ill-judged him, he was neither hard nor sardonic, he was already my friend of many years, the brother I had never possessed."

Sardonic {sahr-don-ik} -adj.
characterized by bitter or scornful derision; mocking; cynical; sneering.



"Mrs. Danvers never obtruded herself but I was aware of her continually."

Obtrude {uhb-trood} -verb
1. to thrust (something) towards or upon a person especially without warrant or invitation
2. to thrust forth; push out.
3. to thrust forward, especially unduly; intrude.

11 comments:

  1. You found some great words! I know sardonic and sarcastic are similar, but I always forget which is which.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words this week! I knew sardonic, and I had an inkling as to what insidious meant, but now I know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had learned the first two words in my reading and think I may have used them on prior WWW posts, but the third word was new to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great choices! I see these words often in my reading and had a good idea what they meant from the context. It's always good to know the definition though. I like this meme and I LOVE your cat photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are reading one great book. Hope you are liking it.

    I know the last two words.

    Here is my Wondrous Words Wednesdays post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great words! I learn something new every Wordless Wednesday. Have a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness!! I meant to say Wondrous Words Wednesday! I could not have made a worse mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obtrude..that is one I didn't know. Problem is, if I used it no one else would know it either..lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone! I am sorry that it's taken me so long to respond! Life just seemed to get away from me! We've all been there I s'pose :o) But I'm so happy you're all here, please keep coming back!
    Oh no! I just realized that the definition of Sardonic is missing from my listing! I'm so sorry about that! I get a big "F" for proofreading! If you all notice me doing that again, please email me! This is embarassing! Oops! oh well! LOL

    Bermudaonion: Thank you. You know, that's my problem, I forget what so many words mean if I haven't read them or used them in quite a while. I recognize them but so often the meaning, which I know I should know, eludes me! ugh!

    Jo-Jo: I really like sardonic & insidious, that just sound great. But if I don't use them regularly, I forget their meaning so it's good to remind myself!

    The Westie: Thank you for coming by! It's great to meet you, I love your name! Obtruded sounded familiar to me but I didn't know it, it just sounds like a couple of other words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wrighty: Hi! and thank you. The cat photos make me happy whenever I see them. Soon I am going to change them since I have plenty to rotate with. Very often I list words I come across in my reading that I recognize but I'm not sure of their meaning. I figure it out well enough by the context but when I look them up I'm always happy to have a solid definition. That's what I love about this meme, it makes me look them up!

    guatami tripathy: This book is fantastic! I love to read it every few years or see the movie in Autumn. I always get something new out of it and never tire of the story. It's too delicious! I'll check your words out soon, sorry for my delay!

    Pesky Cat Designs: Thank you for coming by, you are so sweet. I'm glad you enjoy my Wednesday Words, I have always loved words, I just need to figure out how to remember them all! No worries about saying Wordless Wednesday! You gave me a good laugh!

    caite: LOL, you make a very good point. And then they will think you're some obnoxious smart girl with your SAT words (as my friends and I used to call them!) But it might be fun to befuzzle people!

    Willoughby: Thank you! So good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete